POG-Tied

(Update- May 17 2010, 1:05 pm)
The Hoboken Journal noted that the Hoboken411 link on the POG web site was gone on Saturday, May 15. Thanks to Eric Kurta for taking out the garbage.

Several other links were removed in the clean-up, including those to The Hoboken Reporter and We the People Reports. Here are the survivors:



(Update- May 14, 2010, 11:25am
)
Eric Kurta of POG stopped by last night (see comment below) to say that an update of the POG web site was pending- this summer. I don't know if that means the H411 link goes or not- my take was that it would, and that it was only there because an update was overdue. I guess we'll find out. This summer.

(original post-May 13, 2010)
If you want more evidence of the ties between the non-partisan government watchdog group, POG. and the Beth Mason spin-machine, Hoboken411, you only have to look as far as POG's web site.

On POG's list of web links, presumably ones that reflect its non-partisan principles is...


Did you just say, "What the f*ck?" I'll bet you did.

POG can no longer deny its connection to Hoboken411, a site that routinely ignores news and events which don't flatter its benefactoress, a site which abuses the free speech of users through comment moderation and banning, a site which shares registrants' private information (how do you think you know my name) , a site where mockery of fat people and dwarfs is welcome, and where racist comments are allowed, and so on.

How can POG pretend to be non-partisan, with it's recent ant-Zimmer administration diatribe by it's president, Alice Crozier, that it submitted to Hoboken411 for publication.

Now, I don't see Mile Square View, or Hoboken Patch on that list.

Not even Grafix Avenger (yeah, right).

Comments

  1. So sad. I noticed 411 is the only blog they mention. Not patch etc...? POG needs an overhaul, if it wants any credibilty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's some real sharp sleuthing there. Let me do you one better. For most of the three years that I was president of POG, I was also a regular poster and contributor to H411. When the site changed its editorial slant, I ceased my activities on the site. No drama, nor was this a state secret.

    At most, I'm guilty of not updating the link list on the POG site to include MSV and Patch, both of which are relatively new to the Hoboken scene. A full revamp of the site will be undertaken this summer - ease down, will ya?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eric,
    It isn't just the link that is troubling, it's the fact that Alice and her co-authors sent her slanted letter to 411 first (It was the only blog that published it for 2 days.
    Then the Hudson Reporter (Print)

    Perhaps you can explain why Mason was left alone?

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the spirit of fairness, there were a number of releases to a number of places and this was discussed at the POG event.

    Eric Kurta did state he added distribution of the letter to Hoboken.patch.com. Hoboken411 did not receive it first but it appeared so as it was perhaps posted there first.

    For the record, MSV did not receive POG's letter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At some point, weren't we all posters on 411?

    I'm not going to rush to judgment on Eric or anyone else in POG. The idea of POG is a good one, and has done a lot of good in the past. I have hope that it will do so in the future.

    While I disagreed with the letter and the lack of one concerning Beth's actions, I can completely understand and excuse the POG website not being updated. Heck, I had 411 linked on my personal blog for quite a while after Perry went of his rocker.

    I retain hope that POG will return to its non-partisan roots, and perhaps that requires more involvement from me and others willing to put forth the effort. In the meantime, I'm not willing to condemn the group or Eric based simply on one letter and a not-so-updated web presence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eric, thanks for the clarification that H411's link is on the POG site because hasn't been updated, and an update is pending-- sometime this summer.

    I respect you and your work, and have followed it on H411 and thereafter-- the piece on Church Towers' Multiple Property Owners is one I distinctly remember. You sir, are a "sleuth", I just blog. What you do is noble and selfless. Anyone with a laptop and the time can blog. As I do.

    My point of view on H411 is a little more harsh than yours, it seems. More than an "editorial slant" I think they've become a one-sided and mean-spirited political operation; the outing and attempted smear of yours truly an example of what they 'do' to people who aren't with them. I think they are a malevolent bunch. Like in comparing Dawn Zimmer to a chimpanzee. What was THAT?

    And that's what I think. So, giving them a veneer of credibility with a POG link and a POG letter elicited the responses you've read here. Certainly my opinion. It may not be yours or anyone else's. And not a personal condemnation of you- I hadn't known you were the webmaster until now. And that a site update was pending. As I already said, I respect and admire you personally.

    Of course, as a snapshot in time, H411 was once a lively, open forum where it seems everyone was welcome. Back when you were a contributor, and when I read it regularly. So, it would make perfect sense that POG would offer the link. But it hasn't been so for 12 months or more.

    Thank goodness for Patch and MSV, the new guys.

    And thanks for stopping in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quoting Dr.Zira: "I'd kiss you if you weren't so damn ugly".

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment