Updated: OTB in Hoboken? Um, no thanks

Share your thoughts, pro or con, with  Councilman Russo on Facebook
Update:
TAKE RUSSO'S TWITTER POLL! 
Councilman Russo would like to know your opinion on whether or not OTB should come to Hoboken, so vote here: https://twitter.com/MichaelRussoNJ/status/998330460232142849

Sadly, he does not want GA's opinion; I just discovered Russo's BLOCKED me on his Twitter!

Why, oh why?  What hast thou done to offend thee, O Councilman? Since I'd like to vote,  I've notified the Councilman about this unfortunate blocking "accident!"  


___________________

RUSSO WANTS TO BRING OTB TO HOBOKEN

At two recent City Council meetings, 3rd Ward Councilman Mike Russo pitched his proposal to bring Off Track Betting (OTB) to Hoboken!  Russo posited OTB as a good thing for Hoboken that would generate revenue for the City.

The Councilman suggested that the OTB at the Meadowlands with its restaurant and club house could be a model for OTB in Hoboken. 

OTB Clubhouse at the Meadowlands. source: Google 

The reaction from council colleagues and the public in attendance was audible.  GA would describe it as "boo" and "hiss."

Yet Russo remains undaunted; he's taken his proposal to The People on Facebook.

BASKETS OF DEPLORABLES
Of all the possible ways to bring revenue to Hoboken, an OTB would be on the bottom of my list-- if it were on my list. It does't make the list.  

Hoboken people: you want to bet on the horses? Call your bookie!

Saying that the OTB attracts unsavory types and crime is like saying a magnet attracts iron scraps.

DUH.

I've got my own (anecdotal) observations on what an OTB adds to urban life. GA commuted for years to Manhattan- first to my college in the East Village, then to work in midtown-  my bus stop to the subway was in front of a (now defunct) OTB.  There it is: Hillside Avenue and 179th Street in Jamaica, Queens.  


As for the Hillside Avenue OTB...

Should I mention the paper (betting slips or whatever they were) all over the sidewalk-- visible on the interior floor through the glass storefront? 

Should I mention baskets of deplorables congregating outside?

Should I mention cigarette butts, cans, candy wrappers and other assorted crap dropped on the sidewalk? 

Call me what ever you want; a lot of us pay astronomical taxes to live in a city without an OTB, among other  nice things about Hoboken.

Listen, I have nothing against people who throw their money away to win more money. However, chances are that over the long haul you will lose more than you win. Which makes you a loser. I once was gifted $100 to spend in Atlantic City. Well, those Benjamins were gone faster than you can say, "You shoulda kept the money, loser."

So, Off-Track Betting doesn't make you a bad person.  We just don't need to enshrine your addiction in an OTB temple.

This is my opinion, people.

And should prostitution ever become legal, I do not want a Hoboken Bunny Ranch. 


Props to those hookers on their Dem politics!

Hear that, Councilman?

No Bunny Ranch.

GA says: Want to place a bet? Call your bookie. Want a "good time"? Call a....

Comments

  1. aside from OTB being absolutely NOT the type of business most people want as neighbors, what sort of revenue would it actually bring the city? not much, i'd imagine. this is a weird one, something must be behind it. mikey must have a friend (or a hand) in it somehow, makes no sense otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want to attract crime to the city, this is how you do it. Bring in all the local gambling addicts with the problems they create. Next will come tons of pawn shops and payday/title lending places. How about we also get a methadone clinic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a family living in Church Towers who were arrested and charged for book making about 10 years ago. So I think the addicts are already living in Hoboken.

      Delete
  3. just checked out his poll, currently running 68% against, 32% for. and these are votes from people who follow mikey, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Please post updates- since I am BLOCKED.

      Delete
    2. as of 5:45 pm: 72% against, 28% for

      Delete
    3. Thank you, me. Russo unblocked me- hooray! The poll is now 74-26.

      Delete
  4. You know what's bigger than Watergate and my ass in these shorts?

    NARRATIVE-GATE!

    On my beautiful MSV and Friends we already made it clear that Crooked Bhallary hates women and loves Russo. All the proof you need is how many times we repeated it.

    But over here on the FAILING Grammar Avenger (which is a TERRIBLE name by the way) you keep insisting that Crooked hires girls. And now you claim you're on the outs with Crooked's best best friend Russo.

    You know what people are telling me? They are telling me you are guilty of NARRATIVE-GATE with these fake news stories that fly in the face of the narrative the American people already swallowed! Maybe it's time to look into revoking some of these fake news charters!

    For REAL AMERICANS -- tune into MSV and Friends where there's only items on the menu. Making up excuses for me and making up excuses for Councilbabe Tammy. Or Tippy. Tippy right?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment