This Little Piggy

The above pic came in with the text, "Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up"

This post is for a friend who texted me all New Year's Eve with pics from the party he was hosting-- in particular, close-ups of the whole, roasted pig who ended up a grotesque centerpiece on his buffet table (see above).

OK, I'm no vegetarian. I love beef, fish, chicken, but my favorite is lamb. Little Bo Peep look no further, he was delicious.

But there is something I've always found repulsive about a meal that LOOKS back at you.

Did you ever eat one of these?

A smoked whitefish. Whole.

I have, many times as a kid; my Dad would buy them for breakfast. Deee-licious, BUT there is something about that milky, dead eye staring up at you that kind-of makes you feel... guilty.

Of course that's nothing compared to the whole, live fish (sea bream) I was served in a fine restaurant in Kyoto, Japan... it's innards were cut up, artfully arranged, and the thing was moving. It had to have cost a small fortune (sea bream is a delicacy there), and my host had ordered the ornate platter especially for me.

What would YOU have done? Would you have eaten it?

I had to take a pass. Blech.

There I learned that one person's fine dining experience is another's horror movie.

I know, I know... then give up meat/fish/poulty.

Hell, no.

In fact, my last meal on Death Row will be grilled baby lamb chops. Or KFC.

Decisions, decisions.

Comments

Post a Comment