Raleigh

by Scott Siegel
-
Raleigh, 2001-2011

I came back on a Sunday from vacationing in Puerto Rico to find my first cat Argy (Argentina) dead. My neighbor's child "forgot" to feed her.

I cried for two days until two planes hit the WTC.

 One month later I went to the Liberty Shelter in Jersey City. They had two orange cats- Momma and Sonny. They both hissed when I petted them.

Then my friend put a small 2 month old black cat into my arms. He never left them. As a kitten he would sit across from me in my chair staring at me.


Each time I got up he jumped off and followed me around like a dog. As he grew he was the most loving, faithful, beautiful cat that anyone could ever have. He slept at my feet or thigh each night purring me to sleep.


In October the vet gave him a clean bill of health. When I came home home from vacation last month his lower half was noticeably thin. I thought that maybe he just didn't eat while I was away. On December 31st the vet took an x-ray. His entire body was cancer filled. They advised me to put him asleep at that time. I decided to wait until after New Years. He was still eating, drinking and using his litter box. He could still jump on and off furniture. I decided that since he showed no signs of pain I would play it by ear. Last night he left my bed and slept on the floor. When I got up I found him in my living room between the chair and sofa. He was very lethargic.

I petted and caressed him for an hour. I went out to do some errands and I when I returned he had passed away. Over the past few weeks so many friends and relatives have lent me their support. I will never forget it.  I am glad he didn't suffer and wish that none of you have to go through this, but it is a part of life unfortunately.

May Raleigh rest in peace.

Comments

  1. Scott,

    My deepest condolences on the passing of Raleigh.

    Your friend,
    GA

    ReplyDelete
  2. They give us all they have, don't they. All human love seems conditional by comparison. If there really is a heaven, it will have to hold the 4 dogs I've had to say goodbye to. I'll have to do something special for Katy today. I'll say it was from Raleigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanx guys it means a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's never easy saying goodbye to our furry 4 legged family members. Raleigh was a lucky cat.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment