Controversy

Have you ever seen Prince perform live? I haven't.

A friend in college was a Prince fanatic-- as in, time and budget permitting, flying around the country to attend his concerts. No joke. I thought she was nuts.

But now I regret not having seen him live at least once, because say what you will about his music, in his heyday--and still now he is an amazing performer.

So, what reminded me of Prince today?

Waking up this morning and perusing the blogs, reading my emails... made me tap my feet.

For your listening pleasure, this classic off his 1981 album of the same title:



Wasn't that great?

Sing along with me, people:

I just can't believe all the things people say (Controversy)
Am I black or white? Am I straight or gay? (Controversy)
Do I believe in God? Do I believe in me? Yeah (Controversy)

CHORUS:

Controversy
Controversy

I can't understand human curiosity (Controversy)

Was it good 4 U? Was I what U wanted me 2 be? (Controversy)
Do U get high? Does your daddy cry? (Controversy)

CHORUS


Do I believe in God? Do I believe in me? (Yeah, ooh yeah)

Some people wanna die so they can be free
I said, life is just a game, we're all just the same
Do U wanna play? (Yeah, yeah, yeah)

CHORUS {x3}


{Lord's Prayer}

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name
Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses
As we forgive those who trespass against us
Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil
For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever and ever

CHORUS {x2}


Love ya, love ya, baby


CHORUS {x3}

(Oh yeah, yeah)
(Everybody, oh yeah)

Listen...

People call me rude, I wish we were all nude
I wish there was no black and white, I wish there were no rules
People call me rude, I wish we were all nude
I wish there was no black and white, I wish there were (was) no rules
{repeat 2 more times}

Yeah! (Controversy)

Oh yeah (Controversy)

Do I believe in God? Do I believe in me?

Let me tell U, some people wanna die so they can be free
I said life is just a game, we're all just the same
Don't U wanna play?

Are you shaking that booty, yet?

Well, I can't imagine anyone else could do it better than Prince.

Now, people. As you wake up this morning, think Big Picture. In the words of another hipster, Abie-baby, spoken just the other day in 1858:

Our cause, then, must be intrusted to, and conducted by, its own undoubted friends -- those whose hands are free, whose hearts are in the work, who do care for the result. Two years ago the Republicans of the nation mustered over thirteen hundred thousand strong. We did this under the single impulse of resistance to a common danger, with every external circumstance against us. Of strange, discordant, and even hostile elements, we gathered from the four winds, and formed and fought the battle through, under the constant hot fire of a disciplined, proud, and pampered enemy. Did we brave all then to falter now? -- now when that same enemy is wavering, dissevered, and belligerent? The result is not doubtful. We shall not fail -- if we stand firm, we shall not fail. Wise counsels may accelerate or mistakes delay it, but, sooner or later, the victory is sure to come.

More succinctly, from the same speech: a house divided against itself cannot stand.

Comments

  1. Cheers. Let's remember we're all in this together and remember we're in this for the long haul.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment