234


How are you going to look on your 234th birthday?

Not so good, I imagine.

So how's America looking?

No empty, knee-jerk jingoism here at GA; not so good. Lousy economy, high unemployment, record home foreclosures, millions without health insurance, food prices way up, endless war in Afghanistan, globs of crap starting to wash up on our shores while oil continues to gush in the Gulf... Americans are in a foul mood. Alright, well... I am.

So, the fabulous fireworks display last night over the Hudson was just the right balm for a cranky, sour spirit.

Did you see them? I left my camera at home (on purpose) so you'll have to check out Hoboken Journal or MSV for the visuals. But, I can give you audio. Ready? Here goes: bang! Pop! Bang-bang-bang! Pshooooom! Pop-pop! Pop-pop-pop! Pshooooom! Bang-bang! And so on... for 27 minutes.

It was worth waiting for in the sultry, steamy July heat. As I sat there on the grassy hillock of the Stevens campus, LA (Little Avenger) in my lap, surrounded by folks of all ages sharing our American celebration, it occurred to me that hope hadn't left the building; it was around me in the goodness of our people. (Well, not all of them. A rotten egg is a rotten egg. ) But I still believe there's good in most of us so we will endure together and come out together, on the other side.

Hopefully in a better place.

Comments