Blue Nugget?

So I'm catching up on my news this morning, and what grabs my eye on The Hoboken Reporter website: a disgusting blue-spotted chicken nugget. Yuck.

The grossly speckled nugget is being offered for our collective disapproval in the hand of a concerned parent, Peta Moran, who photographs her child's school lunches daily for her blog , "EAT HOBOKEN- A School Lunch Blog". Her concept is terrific; informing parents about what schools are stuffing into our little ones, while letting administrators and the district's lunch vendor, Chartwell's, know they're being watched. And she lets her photos tell the story... which they do. Or do they?

Back to the blue nugget.

Outrageous, right? If our schools can serve our kiddies blue nuggets today, what's next- a whole blue chicken? With blue peas and carrots and a blue salad topped off with a blue glass of milk?

Well, as I examined the picture, I noticed something strange. Do you see it?

photograph from The Hoboken Reporter

Hint: the last time I saw a hand that blue was on an episode of Forensic Files; the corpse was post rigor-mortis and decomposition had set in. And look at the background: it's similarly tinted.

So I dropped it into photoshop for a bit of color correction; here's what I got:


OK, this nugget at 10x magnification has 3 darkish spots... I suppose we could dispatch a forensics team to determine what they are, but they look a lot less sinister without the blue glow, no?

So I went to Peta's blog, where I found this pic; an unappetizing green sandwich with a greenish slice of mystery meat. Ew.

photograph from Peta's blog

How could our children be served something so... green? I'll bet it glows in the dark. But wait... the brown wood-grain pattern laminate table top also looks... green. Hmmm... green sandwich, green table.

So, again, popped that one into photoshop:

Now, the table top is back to brown, and the sandwich... no longer an otherworldly chartreuse.

So, here is my message for Peta: I applaud what you're doing, but if you want your pictures to tell the story then they must do so fairly and accurately.

I am not suggesting any 'funny business'; pics may photograph tinted depending upon lighting, surrounding colors and surfaces, reflected light, for many reasons. But understand the impact of blue nuggets and green sandwiches is very alarming for parents, and may be misrepresentative of the quality and freshness of the actual food being served, and unfair to the lunch vendor if they are providing fresh and healthy food.

So, I would urge due diligence on the publication of future photos, to make sure colors are true-to-life as a service to the many parents who may rely on you to 'tell the story' of their child's school lunch.

And for The Hoboken Reporter, weren't you wondering about the blue fingers?

Comments

  1. Looks like Steak-ums. Yum, yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her blog and project is interesting (no one will argue against good food all) but her photography is uneven at best. Look at the two different shots she has of that steak sandwich- it's not green in the 1st picture she shows:
    http://eathoboken.blogspot.com/2010/05/monday-53-philly-cheese-steak.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll work on taking better pictures...
    That said, all the pics taken are not fidgeted with or color corrected. I have those nugget pictures in other light settings...if you would like to see, ill show you. Not sure how you erased the dark spots because honestly I wasn't looking for brown spots on the chicken nuggets...they were very obvious! in fact there were many that looked like that in the tray. So many that my principal kept one and sent it back to the central kitchen to ask what that was. Their response: 'It was probably the pan!' Great! in the mean time ill work on taking better pics...fyi...the light source is a clear window.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, RH. I appreciate your response. As I said, I think your concept is great, a real service to parents who (obviously) can't be with their kids 24/7.

    And photographs don't always portray accurate coloration. As I said, I don't think those images were manipulated, just off-color.

    That said, images are powerful and persuasive things- in fact I was chatting w/a friend in the playground today who reads your blog and had stopped her son's hot lunches completely based on pics you'd posted. I suppose there are others. And I know if I thought my daughter had ingested that green, glowing sandwich I'd be horrified, and really angry. So my point, which I said before is to exercise attention to accuracy in the images posted.

    Sure, by all means forward your pics to grafixavenger666@gmail.com.

    Now, I was interested to hear about 2 ladies who are launching a bag-lunch biz AFTER seeing your photos! (Talk about the power of images)

    Have you met either of these ladies? What are your thoughts about their venture?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, sorry forgot to address your Q about the color correction. No, nothing was erased on the nugget.

    Are you familiar w/Photoshop? Applying an adjustment layer, I did the color correction by adjusting 'color channels', 'color balance', 'hue/saturation' and 'brightness/contrast' values.

    Same process for the sandwich.

    I just got an email from a friend; her sons loved that steak sandwich and now she's forced to buy Steak-ums!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Im familiar with photoshop but do not have the software I'm afraid. The problem with color correcting it takes out the flaws! I wish those chicken nuggets had looked like that that day- the were barely baked and never mind the spots. You actually made them look quite edible. My pictures are not photoshop'd in way shape or form but I guess i'll work on taking them in better light.

    Regarding the Time for Nutrition(?). I do know the ladies but they are being very tight-lipped! I'll be curious to see if anything comes to fruition.

    P.S LOL about your friend. Quite a few ppl I know say they used to love steak-ums at school. Must be a kid thing cause they wont eat it now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ss1959 - You are the exception to the rule...you still love steak-ums! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You just can't find steak-ums in a restaurant anymore. In college (Rutgers) there was a joint called Greasy Tony's (my guess it wouldn't have been your kind of place). You could buy a T-shirt that said "no extra charge for the grease"! He has since moved to Tempe, Arizona (redevelopment in New Brunswick).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment