After a long hiatus from Hoboken political coverage, Al Sullivan fertilized his latest column with assorted rumor and innuendo. The topics of the Al-witness rumor were Hoboken's mayoral race and an upcoming appointment to either reappoint or replace NHSA Commissioner Tony Soares.
The Al-Witness rumor can be summarized as follows:
About former North Hudson Sewerage Authority (NHSA) Commissioner Frank Raia:
- he has "been spotted meeting around Hoboken with City Council people loyal to Mayor Dawn Zimmer."
- "...he is rumored to be considering a run himself for mayor in 2017 on a third ticket.."
- "Speculation is that he is lobbying to get a seat on the NHSA, where he was for 25 years.... if so, then Raia would displace Tony Soares, whose term on the NHSA expires shortly"
- " (he) will likely run for freeholder first"
About Hoboken's 4th Ward Councilman, Ruben Ramos:
- "Councilman Ruben Ramos [is] reportedly planning to make another run"
GA is not sure why that would be floated; let's just call it a floater.
The rumor about Romano has anecdotal support; GA was told directly by a powerful Hudson County elected official: "I think Romano is running for Freeholder."
And Ramos? Stay tuned.