It's official: Michael DeFusco wants to unseat Terry Castellano from her broomstick!
Next November DeFusco will be running with- not against, Reform on a ticket with Tiffanie Fisher (2nd ward), Dana Wefer (4th ward-pronounced Wee-fer), Peter Cunningham (5th) and Jen Giattino (6th). DeFusco is a surprise for those who know he has long been allied with folks GA affectionately calls 'The Dark Side.'
I am not surprised.
I served two years with DeFusco on the ZBA, and know he's decent, smart, cordial and reasonable; not your typical Dark Side traits. Young and energetic- he has more to offer First Ward residents than some bitter, crusty sea hag whose name escapes me.
In 2011, First Ward candidate Eric Kurta lost by 151 votes... but that was before Castellano's abysmal performance in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy....
|Castellano TRASHES Zimmer's appeals for HELP in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy|
In 2011, Reform came close to winning the First Ward, and that was before Castellano:
- tried to KILL the sale of the HUMC to HoldCo ...which would have doubled (or tripled) municipal taxes to pay off the $52M bond default ...lost 1,200 hospital jobs at Christmas ...destroyed our City's Bond rating making bonding to fund City operations extremely expensive ...likely resulting in massive layoffs of municipal workers
- voted NO on a cost-free garage bond refinance forcing a preventable $4,500,000 payment of taxpayer money from our surplus
- tried to ZERO-out our budget surplus in 2011, which we need for emergencies like Sandy
- voted NO to bond to repair Sandy damage to Pier C Park, keeping the park closed for months
- voted NO to bond for a traffic light at a dangerous Hoboken corner near 1600 Park
- voted NO to replace HOP buses destroyed in Hurricane Sandy
- SUED the City to keep Jim Doyle off the City Council in the aftermath of the hurricane, after Mason and Russo rigged an absence and an abstention from the City Council on the vote to fill the Marsh vacancy... and the list goes on.
WE CAN, WE WILL, WATCH US!