Campaigning at a Wake?


Oh, boy... 

You know, we all share 2 common experiences: birth and death.

Birth is generally a joyful time,  unless you were an accident.
Unintended pregnancy is a major problem in the United States. About 3 million pregnancies per year —50 percent of all pregnancies— are unplanned. The rate of unintended pregnancy in the United States is much higher than in other developed nations, and past studies have shown that about half of these pregnancies result from contraceptive failure.
Well, you're here now.  But you won't be forever.  Which brings us to that other experience: death.

Death is generally a sad time, unless you were a genocidal maniac like Pol Pot.  In that case, no one will miss you.  A few might even spit on your grave.

My people- the Jews, have a protracted period of mourning called shiva, which follows burial.  Jewish burial is extremely quick.  Case in point: I learned my Dad had passed on Monday afternoon and his service was graveside on Tuesday at 10am. POW!  I was like, what the hell just happened?   My Dad had a great sense of humor and loved cats.

I miss you, Daddy.
 
Christians do it the other way- they have the mourning period- the wake, then the burial.

But really, what's the difference?  Dead is dead.

Anyway, losing a loved one is one of life's worst experiences.  Having been through it as unfortunately many of you probably have, you know what I mean.  Then you know what a comfort it is to be amongst your friends and relatives.  Who care.

So imagine you are the dead guy (or gal).

Do you want political candidates glad-handing at your wake?  That would be enough to re-animate me... I'd sit up in my coffin and scream," Get OUT!"

So, out of respect GA will redact the name of the departed, but check out this email I got yesterday:

went to Mrs. (redacted's) wake.... her son is the HHS swim/gym teacher..... both his parents were our teachers.  I went to pay my respects and offer condolences...

Liz Markevitch was there!  She brought Felice Vazquez with her!  so gross.

They were waiting for us to finish talking to (son of deceased) so they could talk...maybe introduce Felice.   Liz M probably knows (son of deceased) from HHS, I give her that...but Felice? 

hey...long standing tradition with the "Tammany" crowd. They get their votes at fires, floods and funerals.
Yikes.  And these people accuse GA of bad taste?  Listen, I know the difference between a funeral and a Meet-and-Greet. 

Tacky, tacky, tacky.

Well this is Hoboken.  I hear even dead people vote, especially in the 4th Ward.  How do you think we got Timmy?


Comments

  1. That's just vile. If our people ever do that they're dead to me, as it were.

    This is the Mason Factor at work. There used to be limits of some sort. Now it's just total 24/7/365 warfare with no room for common human decency. Out of season glossy 'midnight fliers', endless out of season push polls, the absurdly cynical We're-Not-Operatives defamation suit (that even the absurdly cynical Augie Torres ridiculed). So I guess I shouldn't be surprised to learn that private mourning too is no longer off limits to Team Beth. Just another opportunity to campaign. Sickening. I'd take the Russos any day of the week. They're awful, but I like to think some core humanity persists under all the layers of corruption.

    PS: I just love that picture with your dad. One can glimpse the incipient mischief that has made this blog a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Money can't buy you class. I wonder if the Masons are reading this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Appearing as though she had successfully raided Minnie Mouse's closet, the second ward councilwoman arrived with her husband wearing a short, bright red raincoat with black and white harlequin-patterned pumps. To a wake.

      Well, what's the point of having bad taste if you can't express it?

      Delete
    2. You're kidding, right? Mason wore a bright red coat and flashy pumps to the wake?

      Lord in heaven.

      Delete

Post a Comment