I'm Not Dead

Ha! No- not dead just busy.

If I had the time to post yesterday I would have called it Schadenfreude. Because I was thinking what a good few days it's been for the dwellers on The Dark Side.

First, the entire Reform blogosphere gets SLAPPed.   Or I should say, some of the most vocal and articulate voices of Reform.  But the message is being sent to ALL of us.  Make no mistake.

Next, Hoboken is losing a true treasure this week; my dear friend Scott Siegel is leaving us.  No, not like a 'dearly departed' kind-of leaving.  He's moving.

I can't do the tribute he deserves right now, but GA thinks Scott is a very special guy, and I will miss his drop-ins at my house on the way to A&P when he buys his beloved dozen clams. (Don't worry, Scott- I'm sure there are clams at your next destination).

Scott Siegel is irreplaceable. A presence at public meetings, he's been the conscience of fiscal sanity, always speaking truth to power.

I know Scott loves Hoboken, and many of us love him.  I do.

But of course, there are those who don't; some on the City Council who've snarled "renter" at him, like that's some pejorative. (Anything wrong with renters, Ms. Castellano?  Aren't you a landlord of renters?)

 So, we're back to Schadenfreude.  Look what I got from Timmy today:


Schadenfreude?


Anyway, folks.  While there's a lot I can't discuss, there is more that I CAN.  And will.

Now I ask you to please consider a donation to the Hoboken Free Speech Legal Defense Fund- click here.

Horse and I will fight for the 10 John Doe Defendants (and 12 more named within), to protect their anonymity, and for all of us- but we need your help.

(Maybe GA will design some piece of schlock to give to big donors- that seems to work for Public Television fund drives. How about a mouse pad with Da Horsey's face on it? Let me think...)
 
Well, I'll leave you with this message (actually Bertolt Brecht's):







a banished Writer, one of the best, 
scanning the list of the Burned, 
was shocked to find that his 
Books had been passed over. 
He rushed to his desk 
On wings of wrath, and wrote a letter to those in power , 
Burn me! he wrote with flying pen, burn me! 
Haven’t my books Always reported the truth ? 
And here you are Treating me like a liar! 
I command you! 
Burn me!

Comments

  1. Thank you GA, I'll miss you and everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, Scott! You will be sorely missed. You are truly one of the few people who could cut through all of the Old Guard's fiscal claptrap and show how destructive they're trying to be. You outsmarted them all the time, Scott, because you know municipal finance like the back of your hand. Don't know anyone else who can step up to the plate at Council meetings quite like you. Good luck to you in all of your future endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodbye, Scott; sorry you are leaving us. Please know that you have many friends here.

    I understand it's possible to contribute to Hoboken's political discourse from far away places. Like Edgewater. And Secaucus.

    As a matter of fact, some Hobokenites leave for years and come back after that lengthy hiatus and magically secure rent stabilized apartments in Marine View Towers. Ask Ms. Castellano how that's done. She probably knows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many happy returns, Scott. The day is coming. Even on days when it seems further away, it actually becomes closer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment