Ian Sacs: My Response To Your Factually Incorrect Blog Post

Mr. Klaussen,

I am writing in a personal capacity in response to your account of events involving me that were posted on your blog page yesterday, March 24, 2011. My purpose is to clear the record, not so much for my sake, but for the sake of your readers who may be angered, incited, or enraged by information that inaccurately depicts my actions in such an unprofessional manner. When taking this job, I knew that the intense politics of Hoboken would drag my efforts through the mud, and I accepted that reality willingly. But I did not sign on to anyone deliberately distorting my work and efforts as a way to encourage hate and violence among innocent an unsuspecting residents.

I have a deep compassion for my neighbors and my employees, which is why I took this job; it is painful to see them be so cruelly misled. I am deeply concerned that your politically motivated speculations and distortions of the truth lead to more such hate and violence, as it has certainly done so already on many occasions.  I wholeheartedly believe that I have done nothing wrong, the charges are false.  I am confident that nothing will be learned to justify, warrant or support any of the accusations.

Yesterday, while walking to work, I encountered one of our city shuttle buses at 2nd Street and Willow Avenue illegally parked, unattended, idling, with the keys hanging from the ignition.  Anyone could have stolen the bus, and it was in the crosswalk creating a pedestrian safety hazard. Moreover, it was not where it should be at that time on its route. This is all entirely unacceptable and not an appropriate way to run the community shuttle bus service, for which I am responsible. Not only could the bus have been stolen, the fare box money in the box stolen, the bus taken for a joy ride by kids, or entered and vandalized, but the bus was illegally parked in the crosswalk in such a way and on such a narrow street that it severely blocked visibility and it could have caused a collision, an injury to pedestrians, or in the worst case, a fatality.  Avoiding and preventing these things is exactly what I work hard to achieve each and every day, so to find one of my own vehicles in such a position is extremely alarming.

Whatever the reason the bus was abandoned, running, with the keys in the ignition, it could not remain where it was, running or not.  Since it was my understanding that city employees may operate city vehicles - so long as there are no passengers and contain fewer than 16 seats – I chose to move the bus out of the crosswalk, return it to a safe location at the municipal lot two blocks away, and then investigate why the bus was abandoned in such a precarious location.  The bus was returned and parked legally in the municipal lot.  Since the keys were for a municipal shuttle bus, I did not realize that personal keys were attached to the key ring.

 In the lobby of City Hall, on my way to document the incident, I was physically confronted and then attacked in plain view of our on-duty security guard, an on-duty police officer, as well as several other employees and citizens waiting for court.  As the security guard and police officer removed the attacker from me, I then heard him state that there were “personal” keys attached to the ring in addition to the municipal shuttle bus keys.  I immediately had another individual return the personal portion of the key ring.  That alone is the so-called “theft” of which I am accused.

 I am admittedly no tough guy. I am no bully. I am no aggressor, and I did not initiate any violence. I maintain a light, friendly, professional rapport with my staff. I am quite successful and content using our laws and rules of employment to get the performance I expect, and all my staff know this. There was no “lighting into”, “threats”, “public berating”, or “verbal firing” as you incorrectly wrote. There was no “throwdown” or “fight” as you incorrectly wrote. I did not “poke” or say “You're finished”, as you incorrectly wrote. I was simply attacked for doing my job as a Director. You should understand that your words, Mr. Klaussen, can incite much unnecessary anger and hate when carelessly chosen.

 Although I am stern to the point that I expect each employee to earn their pay (and for that I find no harm), I nonetheless treat all of my employees with respect and empathy, and I make every effort to avoid personnel actions that effect their permanent record if at all possible. It is unfair to characterize me as being “hot tempered”, or to suggest that I have a “strained” relationship with my employees, unless you think that expecting a reasonable level of performance and productivity for one's pay makes a relationship strained.

Given your track record, I am doubtful you would act in such an objective and balanced manner, but since your blog's slogan is “Keeping Hoboken Honest”, I am respectfully requesting that you post this response in its entirety, with no edits or redactions. That is what a legitimate news source would do. I will send this response to all local news sites as well so that they can choose to participate in keeping you honest. I further challenge you, in the name of “Keeping Hoboken Honest”, and in the name of the innocent people who read your blog expecting unbiased news, to keep yourself, a self-proclaimed “credentialed journalist”, honest as well.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Ian Sacs, Hoboken Resident


GA Note:
Ian,

If you HADN'T  done the responsible thing and moved the bus safely out of the crosswalk which prevented someone- possibly a child, from taking off with it  (plus all the possible scenarios you described)  the shrieking from those quarters would be just as loud. Because it's not about what's right, it's about who's right-- and it will never be YOU, as far as they're concerned.  Public safety be damned.

The stuff writes itself.

It sounds to me like you were set-up.

It's too bizarre; a bus with keys in the ignition left running on your route to work in the morning... it makes no sense.  And why would someone leave PERSONAL keys in that ignition... that too, makes no sense.  It's simply too reckless.  One can only speculate what would cause a person to do that.  I suppose all of those details will be revealed over time.

Thanks for providing this letter for publication.

And thank you for the great work you've done for this city.  You knew what you were stepping into and you did it anyway.  And we've all reaped the benefit of your  innovative thinking.

Hang in there,
GA

Comments

  1. This release by Mr Saks certainly is a great start toward a calm and concise search for the facts in an orderly manner, and an open dialog to improve relations and target some of the issues that caused this incident, or series of incidents to occur.
    -
    Unfortunately, I think many, especially in the local media, who should be giving even handed coverage, will live up to my expectations by being absent from that reasoned process. We can separate the two camps pretty easily by seeing who sees clear to print this letter or put it up on the internet, and who chooses to redact or ignore it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment