Nino's Got a Challenger

Kudos to the intrepid Ray Smith of the Hoboken Reporter for bagging another City Council candidate prior to his/her 'official' announcement!  Ask Tom Greaney about that.

In this case, the candidate's a 'her': Jen Giattino, of the 6th Ward!  She's been active in the local community, a friend to both 'new' and 'old' Hobokenites and a staunch advocate for improving the quality-of-life for ALL.  She's also a businesswoman and mom of 3 boys.  Yes... 3 of them. ¡Ay, caramba!

Here's what Jen told the HR:

"I feel like I can make an impact in this city," she said in a phone interview on Sunday. "I'm out and about everyday. I can see small things that go wrong and a lot of people talk to me with their issues because I'm very available."

Giattino started the program LOTS (Lunch on Thursdays), in which schools donate sandwiches to the Hoboken Homeless Shelter once a week.

Giattino said she wants "clean parks, clean streets, a place for children to play" and also said "transportation throughout the city" is an important issue.

"I've always been very involved," Giattino said. "I feel like its the right time [to run for council]."

Now, Jen's a newbie to campaigning for political office.  She's fortunate that her opponent,  Nino Giacchi,  is a gentleman with class.  I don't expect him to savage her but others may be deployed to do so.  I  know she's prepared for whatever may come her way and is committed to running a clean campaign.

As a 6th Ward resident (and mom)  with the same quality-of-life interests as Jen, GA will be watching this one closely.

Comments

  1. I've seen Jennifer in action on several campaigns. She's a tireless worker who will be a fine representative for the 6th Ward. Nino is a true gentleman but as a lawyer he put politricks ahead of the law over Corner Cars. He also favored passing the infamous, underfunded budget of Dave Roberts making him fiscally irresponsible. The new majority is a tabling machine. Jen expanded the LOTS program to 3 days (3 different schools) and is very concerned with quality of life issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very excited that Jen is running and hope others will join me in helping move the 6th ward from the council of no to a future of yes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen has been known in many circle as the unofficial Mayor of Hoboken. From the day I met her when she was running Art in the Park uptown to her involvement in the Farmer's Market and Hoboken's school system, she always seems to be solidly involved with making daily life here in Hoboken better. I am thrilled she is running and know Hoboken will be a better place with Jen making decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GA's already got enormous respect for any 'regular' person who sacrifices their personal privacy and family time to serve our city. That the person has a stellar character, a long record of community service, and 'gets' what the top quality-of-life issues are for the folks living in the 6th Ward, well... I join everyone here in my delight that she's in.

    Jen, best wishes... and don't worry, we've got your back.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment