Who's Running Against Nino?


If  you think GA has the answer, guess again.

In spite of the prognostication of my ex-ex-ex-boyfriend Al Sullivan, rumors are flying that business owner Joe Branco is NOT running in the 6th Ward race for City Council.   (And if that's true, my cruel and unworthy ex-ex-ex Al,  you're NOT all that and a bag of chips).

So that would leave Nino Giacchi running against...  who?

Now you may know I live in the 6th Ward which makes me a Giacchi constituent.  And I have to say, I like Nino.   He's accessible, responsive, pleasant to deal with,  and got street signs  for Willow Terrace-- my neighborhood.  He also comports himself with dignity at public meetings; no grandstanding, no cheesy theatrics, his budgets are never handwritten on toilet paper.   I would be very happy keeping Nino except for one thing: the way he votes.  He's the 5th Russo-Mason vote.

Sorry Nino, you've gotta go. 

But where?  It looks like straight back to the City Council.  Because you don't have a challenger.

What happened to Branco?

I'm not sure if Timmy accidently telegraphed the opposition strategy but the 4th Ward Binder Boy derisively called Branco a "bar-owner" a few meetings ago.  Correction came swiftly to "business-owner".   How ironic that politicians who've elevated the yearly unregulated drunk-fest of Saint Patty's Day to a sacred Hoboken tradition would tsk-tsk at a fellow whose business strictly follows all ordinances and regulations with regard to serving alcohol.  Hmmm...

Tonic under the bridge.

I've met Joe and he's an amiable fellow.

I was looking forward to sussing out his politics, his goals for Hoboken-- other than removing Nino from the dais.

Perhaps he'll change his mind.  My only suggestion would be to drop the garbage-jihad; my house is practically a garbage factory and we need that Monday pick-up.  And I don't want Hoboken to compete to be as filthy as Jersey City or that other place he mentioned at the last City Council meeting that only gets 2 (or was it 3)  weekly pick-ups.  Ew.  I used to live in Jersey City, and let me tell you that place NEEDS a few extra garbage pick-ups.

Did I offend anyone from Jersey City?

Sorry.  But you know I'm right.

No, I think Hoboken's Sanitation Dept. does a fantastic job.  I love them.

I love my no-questions-asked garbage service.  Unlike where my mom lives in Queens where the garbage men pick and choose which garbage  they feel like taking away that day and arbitrarily hand out summons, Hoboken's garbage folks remove everything.  I'll bet you could leave a dead body at the corner and they'd take it- as long as it was neatly stored in a 3-ply bag and sealed with a twist-tie.

I did get a summons  here once... for leaving my garbage out too early.  The city actually  searched through the bag,  found my address on something then mailed a $75 summons with a xeroxed photograph of my garbage bag, time-stamped!  Wow.   That's efficiency.  Garbage men, you rock!

So please learn from my mistake, unless you too want a summons with a photo of your beloved garbage.

Wait... why am I talking about garbage?  What does that have to do with politics?

Oh... right.

Does anyone know who's challenging Nino in the  6th Ward?

(Update, 1:15 pm )
A source close to Mr. Branco has  confirmed to GA that he is not running for City Council.

Comments

  1. Wasn't Timmay doing all his "meet and greets" before the election on Tuesday nights at a bar? Bars were good enough for the scumbag then, but not now? And haven't several current and former members either owned bars or owned buildings that had bars in them? Bunch of hypocrites if you ask me, not to mention liars & cheats, oh my.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't matter what you do. If you work at a bank, they'll say you are responsible for housing crash. I personally think it would be good to have the Hoboken business community be represented one councilman. Local businesses are crucial to our way of life. I agree on the hypocrite charge and don't forget my favorite- fiscal irresponsibility!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment