In Her Own Words

It's Day 3 since Patch published  "Hoboken Board of Education Hires New Superintendent" and as of this writing, it's logged 184 comments.

You read that correctly. 

And out of those 184 comments 44 were by a single person, an elected official- Hoboken School Board member Maureen Sullivan.


Perusing through Sullivan's heap of rhetoric on Patch, much of it critical of fellow Board members and their policy decisions, one can easily interpret a multitude of ethical violations. 

But we only need to go back to her own words..."In closed session..."


In her  own words.  Sullivan blogging the content of closed session School Board discussions.    

CLOSED SESSION.  

With her colleagues.  Whom she writes copiously about in these 44 posts  in most unflattering terms.

Commenter khoboken's response was spot-on;  I couldn't have said it better myself:


And commenter InfotainMe provides a perspective which I share, in his eloquent way:


I believe the following NJDOE Rules of Ethics  were violated  in her 44 posts slamming fellow Board members, and in revealing closed session discussions. 
18A:12-24.1 Code of Ethics for School Board Members.
c. I will confine my board action to policy making, planning, and appraisal, and I will help to frame policies and plans only after the board has consulted those who will be affected by them.
GA note: The operative word 'is confine'.  Which excludes airing disputes with colleagues and policy decisions in prolific blogging on public message boards and in letters to the media.
g.I will hold confidential all matters pertaining to the schools which, if disclosed, would needlessly injure individuals or the schools.  In all other matters, I will provide accurate information and, in concert with my fellow board members, interpret to the staff the aspirations of the community for its school.
GA note: Somebody explain the meaning of 'confidential' to Ms. Sullivan, and the difference between a 'closed session' and an open, public meeting.  And how the leaking closed session information undermines public confidence in the ability of the board to work together in the best interest of the district, and exposes the city to lawsuits via the violation of confidentiality rights, such as what Sullivan did when she leaked contract negotiations online with respect to Superintendent candidate  Dr. Anthony Romano.
i. I will refer all complaints to the chief administrative officer and will act on the complaints at public meetings only after failure of an administrative solution.
GA note:  Does whining and trashing colleagues  (and members of the public) on message boards count?

I am asking members of the public to bring this egregious conduct of an elected School Board official to the attention of the NJDOE.


File a complaint to the NJDOE here.


You may direct the NJDOE to the thread on Patch here and reference the School Ethics Act here (you will  be asked to provide rules violated on the form)-- or simply use the ones I've  noted if you are in agreement. 

I urge you to check the Patch thread  yourself.

It is not  'free speech' at play here.  As a blogger serving on a municipal Board  I know the boundary to MY 'free speech'  is determined by the rules of the Board upon which I serve.  I can't blog about many topics and issues and anything before the board, and more.  I understand that.  I accept thatMs. Sullivan does NOT.  It is NOT Sullivan's 'free speech' which is being criticized. it is the flouting of NJDOE School Board Ethics Rules, which are hurtful to the ability of the  Board as a body  to function on behalf of our district and in the best interest of our children.

Mine attends public school; this is personal for me.


GA NOTE: 
I wrote this yesterday, but due to my router crapping out and connectivity problems this morning, I am publishing now.  The thread is now at 207 posts, so updated numbers to come.  Also, Sullivan made a highly personal attack on a member of the pubic which may be added.

Comments

  1. Just try to give your impression of the last BOE meeting and you'll get into knock down, drag out with Maureen. She's entitled to her view, but I urge everyone to see the tape on Chanel 77 and judge for yourselves.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment