Memorial Day

Honor and remember.

Comments

  1. My dad wasn't killed in the war, but part of him never came home, and he left this world at 51. We never knew what it was exactly, not that that would have helped much. He saw, he did, he couldn't get over it.

    I think of him and people like him today, though I confess I don't really know what that means. To quote the other bard, "O cursed spite, that ever I was born to set it right." One wishes to set it right anyway, but not everyone is cut out for it. My dad was not. I miss him so.

    Memorial Day was originally Decoration Day, when the graves of those lost in battle would be decorated by left-behind wives, mothers. I don't think my dad would go for that. He'd want us to go fishing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry, info.

    My dad served as well, and didn't care to discuss it. Other than to talk about the abundance of army food as a revelation back then since he grew up poor. His brother, my uncle, came back in a condition that he lived in a VA hospital until his death.

    I have profound respect for your father's service and the price he paid for it. And all of our veterans. Those who didn't make it back. And for their families.

    One calendar day to remember them isn't enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite a sight. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lafayette_hillside_memorial

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment